Monday, November 7, 2011

Garlicious Roast w/Potatoes & Carrots


After buying this for hubby the other day I figured I'd better find uses for all of it before it goes bad. So I grabbed the round roast I had purchased and came up with a game plan.  I usually just throw the roast in the crockpot with a packet of onion soup mix and some water.  This time I resolved to work a little harder.  I had heard of cutting slits in meat and stuffing garlic into it to season so I just went for it.  Amazing!  Here is how I did it:

First, I turned my oven on to preheat it to 525 degrees.  I then cut my garlic cloves into big slivers.  After that I cut pockets into my meat and shoved the garlic slivers in.  I suggest doing this to your own taste.  We are huge garlic fans so I used 5 cloves all over the roast.  Honestly, I think I could have used even more.  It came out looking like this:
I then mixed up a little rub to put on it.  I used approximately 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon dried onion.  I sprinkled the rub allover the roast:

I then flipped the roast over so that the fat side was facing up onto a roasting pan that had been coated in nonstick cooking spray.  I halved my new potatoes and circled the roast with them and some baby carrots.  I then halved more garlic cloves and sprinkled them around with the veggies.  I could have put more potatoes, carrots and garlic.  I sprinkled some salt, black pepper and white pepper over the veggies:
I put the whole thing in the oven for 6 minutes per pound for a medium rare roast (5 minutes per pound for rare and 7 minutes per pound for well.)  So for my roast, which was a little over 4 pounds, I cooked it for 24 minutes at 525 degrees.  Now comes the most important part!  Once the cook time is over TURN THE OVEN OFF & DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!!!!  Leave it alone for 2 hours.  After the 2 hours are up you have 2 choices.  You can either take it out and eat it as is, it will be lukewarm or you can turn the oven on to 325 degrees and let it cook for 10 minutes.  This will warm it up without overcooking it, which is what I did:
I sliced it up and it was a perfect medium rare.

PERFECTION!!!!!!!!

I will definitely use this method again, only next time I will be using even more garlic.  :-D



Garlicious Roast w/Potatoes & Carrots

1 round roast approx 4 pounds
15 cloves of garlic (5 in slivers & 10 halved)
6 new potatoes halved
20-ish baby carrots
Salt, black pepper & white pepper to season vegetables

Rub Mix:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried onion


Preheat oven to 525 degrees.  Cut slits in the roast and stuff with slivers of garlic.  Sprinkle rub mix over the entire roast.  Place roast fatty side up on roasting pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Surround evenly with new potatoes, baby carrots and garlic halves.  Bake in oven for 24 minutes.  Then turn oven off and allow to continue cooking with the oven door closed for 2 more hours.  It is imperative that you do not open the oven door during these 2 hours.  Once the 2 hours is over either serve as is (it will be lukewarm) or turn oven on to 325 degrees and allow to reheat for 10 minutes.  Enjoy.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment