Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Don't Want Anymore!!!

I have told pretty much everyone I know that I don't want anymore children.  My husband and my goal was to have 2 and that was it.  We were blessed with twins our second pregnancy so we are blessed with 3.  After I got pregnant the 2nd time around the decision to get some type of permanent sterilization (what a word!)  If my husband takes time off work he doesn't get paid.  This meant that the decision of who had a procedure done was pretty much a set thing...me.  I checked my options and chose the Essure procedure (less invasive, quick recovery.)  One would not believe the uproar this caused with some people I know.  They insisted that it was not what I wanted and that I would regret it.  Say what?!?!?!  As a family we have 5 mouths to feed, 5 bodies to clothe, 3 butts to diaper and 3 educations to pay for.  We live paycheck to paycheck as it is.  The future brings more expenses.  Why would I do a disservice to the 3 absolutely amazing kids I have by bring more mouths/bodies/butts/educations into this family.  Don't get me wrong.  I adore children but there is a point that you have to be responsible with your resources and my resources dictate that 3 is ENOUGH!  What about in the future? you ask...  I am not getting any younger and the older you get the higher the chance of birth defects and multiples...I don't need and more twins!  What if on dies?  I get so aggravated by this question.  I am not going to get pregnant to replace a child.  There is NO replacing a child.  My identity is not wrapped up in whether or not I can bear children.  I am insulted when someone even insinuates this.  So I have made my choice and had the Essure procedure done.  Quick, painless and permanent.  And I have no regrets.  Nor will I ever regret it in the future.  3 is enough for my family.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. I hate when people think they know YOUR life and choices better than you. I am 39 years old and had a Tubal Ligation in December ... and I have been asked what happens if I change my mind and want kids in the future? All my life, I said if I didn't have any children by the time I was 36, I didn't want any. I've never really WANTED children anyway. Hubby and I have been very happy together as things are. He's ok with it, why is it anyone else's business??? You and your husband have to be ok with the choice ... and I, for one, support you! :HUGS:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support you from ever angle! I hope you do well with ignoring invasive opinions.
    auj

    ReplyDelete
  3. People never understand that you have to live your life. I had an opposite challenge. People are upset if you want to have kids or if you don't. But everyone has opinions...they're like bellybuttons...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, people do that to me because I'm single and don't have any kids. They do the whole "you're not getting any younger, so you better hurry up" Well, I'm not going to have a kid just to have one. I'm no where near financially stable enough to have one. And with my health, ugh, I can't even imagine it. It may not be my decision anyway with my PCOS.

    I usually shut them up by saying, if/when I'm ready to have kids and my body isn't up for it, then I'll adopt. There are plenty of kids out there who need parents, and I'm not so selfish to think that one has to have my DNA to be a part of my family. Trust me, saying it exactly like that shuts them up every time. LOL

    ReplyDelete